September 15, 2010

Mexi-Cali Salad (Dinner Special)

So as most of you should know, I am a college student… Some days I like it, and other days I wish I was back in Atlanta. I guess you can say I am still trying to adjust. But anyways…I know many are familiar with cafeteria food. -_- Yeah...sometimes you have to make that face because it’s down right awful! Well here at my school they make sure to give students a variety of choices to choose from ranging from pizza, sushi, subs, chicken fingers, buffet style dining etc. But even still sometimes that’s not even good; and the stuff that is good; will cost me about 2 meals (I only get 10 meals a week)…do the math; that’s 2 meals a day. Well yesterday for dinner I went to the nice dining hall that had the good food. I was so hungry and pumped up; not to mention when I got to the hall there was a special going on. The special was for a Mexi-Cali Salad and any size fountain drink for 1meal! So I decided to give it a try. And OMG! When I tell you that it was the best salad I have ever had; let me tell you it was. It was so good I was confused as to rather I should eat the whole thing or save it until later. But you know good and well saving salad later = mushy soggy lettuce. So I decided to be a fat kid for the evening and overly stuffed my face. Despite the long story, I wanted to share the recipe with you all. You can modify a recipe, and if you do share with us! Id love to see how you take this recipe and make it your own! Muahh!


                                                                                                   Ingredients

            2 cups cut-up cooked chicken breast
            1-15-1/2 ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained or substitute chick peas
            2 scallions, diced
            1 head iceberg lettuce, torn into pieces
            Mexicali Dressing (below)
            1 large avocado
            3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
            Tortilla chips, broken
            2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
            1 can ripe black olives, pitted and sliced
            Mexicali Dressing:
            1 cup mayonnaise
            1/2 cup ketchup
            2 teaspoons chili powder
                        1-teaspoon garlic powder

In a bowl, mix cooked chicken, beans, cheese, onions and lettuce. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours. In a bowl, thoroughly mix all ingredients for Mexicali dressing Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours. When ready to serve, cut avocado into bite-sized pieces. Add avocado to dressing and stir. Add dressing mixture to chicken mixture and toss. Sprinkle with tortilla chips and garnish with tomatoes and olives.


No comments: